Regardless of your level of technological savviness, purchasing a new USB hub doesn’t have to be overly complicated. As long as you know what your requirements are, what you’re using it for, and what specifications to look for, then you should be able to make an informed decision. First, it’s important to note that not all USB hubs are the same. Depending on your needs, they each offer different types of functionality. Before you purchase one, you should know the difference between a non-powered and powered USB charging hub.
In this article, we explain the major differences between these two types of USB hubs and provide a list of their pros and cons so that you can decide which one you need.
What Is a Non-Powered USB Charging Hub?
Non-powered, unpowered, or passive USB Charging Hubs are USB devices that don’t contain their own internal power source. Their data transferring or device charging capabilities rely solely on external power sources such as computers to function. While these hubs still provide multi-port connectivity to a number of external devices, they also have many limitations. Nonetheless, they’re quite suitable for everyday standard usage.
- Portable charging hubs are more affordable than powered charging hubs
- They can power small-scale peripheral devices like keyboards, mice, computer monitors, and cellphones
- They’re compact and inexpensive
- You don’t need access to an electrical outlet to use them
- All of their power must be supplied by another device, which means they can drain the battery of those devices much more quickly
- They’re incompatible with large-scale devices and can cause these devices to underperform, slow down, or malfunction if connected
- Connecting high-voltage devices to non-powered USB charging hubs can cause performance issues with the main hub (i.e. your computer or laptop)
What Is a Powered USB Charging Hub?
Powered USB Charging Hubs are the exact opposite in the sense that they connect to external electrical outlets. They act as a channel to charge a variety of different devices. Alternatively, they’re known as active USB hubs. These are generally ideal for large-scale high-voltage devices such as printers, scanners, and external hard drives that require stronger power supplies.
- They have simultaneous fast data and charging capabilities between devices
- All devices receive equal charging power and data transfer capabilities, even when connected simultaneously
- They generate their own power
- Powered Charging Hubs need access to external power sources
- They cost more than their non-powered counterparts
How to Choose the Right USB Power Charging Hub
As you can see, the pros of purchasing a Powered USB Charging Hub outweigh the cons by a landslide. But it also depends on what you need the charging hub for, how you plan to use it, and how much you’re willing or able to spend.
If you only need to charge peripheral devices, then it doesn’t make sense for you to spend the extra money on a charging device that’s incompatible with your small-scale devices.
However, if you need something that can support and power high voltage standalone devices like a printer or scanner, then it might be worthwhile to make a larger investment.
At the end of the day, the type of USB Power Charging Hub you choose depends on your needs how much you’re willing or able to spend.
Choose Ohming Technology’s Convenient Charging Devices
Ohming Technology offers state-of-the-art charging stations that can be used in a wide range of environments and charge numerous devices simultaneously, including laptop computers, cellphones, mp3 players, wireless headphones, and so much more.
With expert craftsmanship and versatility, The Charge M.E. is portable, compact, convenient, and ideal for personal use. Not only is it compatible with new and legacy devices alike, but it’s also futureproof. You don’t have to install any additional software to use it and it’s completely self-powered. The Charge M.E. has the ability to charge up to eight devices simultaneously without compromising the amount of power each device receives. And it also provides excellent network capability through up four USB ports, which means you can connect it to any computer without risking losing charging functionality. Use it at home, in the office, or while you travel.
If you own a restaurant or bar, then consider installing our affordable and convenient Charging Caddy. Customers will never have to leave early to charge their mobile devices or struggle to find an available wall outlet again! The Charging Caddy is durable and built to last long hours on a single charge. Each one has the capacity to charge two devices simultaneously. It’s also water and dust resistant to ensure long lasting functionality. With its unique wood-grain pattern, it seamlessly blends in with your restaurant décor and is available in comes in either a one, two, or customizable Caddy top for bar napkins, coaster, straws, and more.
Ohming Technology is a Florida-based family-owned company with a mission. Our goal is to not only expand our product line, but to also create innovative technological products that make it easier for our customers to charge their devices anywhere and everywhere!
Contact us today to learn more about our company or shop online today!
Latest posts by Paul Romanenko (see all)
- Visiting National Parks: Travel Essentials to Pack for the Great Outdoors - July 17, 2019
- Important Etiquette to Follow when Using Mobile Devices - July 3, 2019
- 5 Must-Have Summer Travel Gadgets in 2019 - June 19, 2019